Audiences are collections of visitors grouped by like characteristics. Audiences are available at the Campaign level and a few of them are also available at the Variation level. This gives you flexibility in how Audiences are evaluated.
At the Campaign level, SiteSpect uses Audiences to include or exclude visitors in a Campaign. At this level, SiteSpect evaluates Audiences only on a visitor’s initial page view, during their first visit. Once the visitor is assigned and counted in a Campaign, Audiences are no longer evaluated for return visits as part of that same Campaign. Audiences are evaluated only once, on the first visit, on the first page view.
SiteSpect allows you to specify multiple Audiences so that you can fine tune your selection of visitors who are eligible for assignment. Audiences are applied using AND logic. This means that a visitor must meet all Audiences that are part of a Campaign to be included in that Campaign.
In addition, if a visitor fails to be included in the Audience for a Campaign during one visit, the same visitor may be assigned to the same Campaign if that same visitor later meets the Audience requirements.
Campaign Audiences are defined by geographic location, browser type, customer status, or other visitor characteristics. The following are a few examples:
- You want to include in your test only visitors who use Google and who are located in the US.
- You want to target visitors who arrive at your site Monday through Friday between 9am and 5pm. This allows you to focus your Campaigns on business visitors rather than non-business visitors.
- You can present a different web experience to Android users versus iPhone users.
At the Variation level, SiteSpect allows you to use Audiences as Triggers. At this level, the Audience determines when and where the Variation is applied. The Audiences available at the Variation level include:
- Time - See Creating Time-Based Promotions and Messages for an example.
- Mobile - See Syncing Cookies Across Browsers for an example.
- Cookie Value (Data Set)
- SiteSpect User GUID (Data Set)
Types of Audiences
The following image displays the page that allows you to create a new Audience. Read more about Types of Audiences.