Log files record the raw hits made to your website for a given time period and may be useful for analyzing visitors and visits. You can download the logs from SiteSpect by selecting Site, Monitoring, Log Files.
You may request a log file for any time frame in the last four weeks. Log files are not immediately available upon request. SiteSpect will send you a system message when the log file has been generated and is available for you to download. Once generated, the log files will be available for a period of five weeks.
The log files contain the following data for each hit (or server request):
- The IP address of the visitor making the request.
- The identity of the requester. This field is rarely used.
- The authenticated visitor, if required for access.
- The time that the server finished processing the request.
- The requested file from the client, shown in double quotes.
- The status code that the server sends back to the client (e.g.: 200, 304, 404).
- The number of bytes transferred.
- A hyphen in the output indicates that the requested piece of information is not available.
The following is an example of recorded entries found in a log file:
184.108.40.206 - - [16/Apr/2015:14:51:40 +0000] "GET /images/loading.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 1905
220.127.116.11 - - [16/Apr/2015:14:51:40 +0000] "GET /images/closelabel.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 934
18.104.22.168 - - [16/Apr/2015:14:51:44 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 3541
22.214.171.124 - - [16/Apr/2015:14:51:49 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 3541
126.96.36.199 - - [16/Apr/2015:14:51:55 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 3541
188.8.131.52 - - [16/Apr/2015:14:52:01 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 3542
184.108.40.206 - - [16/Apr/2015:14:52:27 +0000] "GET /electric-fireplaces.cfm?urlLanding=&DropCode=FP4345&submit=SUBMIT&Action= HTTP/1.1" 200 3312
220.127.116.11 - - [16/Apr/2015:14:52:28 +0000] "GET /assets/styles.css HTTP/1.1" 304 -
18.104.22.168 - - [16/Apr/2015:14:52:29 +0000] "GET /assets/print.css HTTP/1.1" 304 -
Downloading log files from SiteSpect
To download a log file:
- Select Site, Monitoring, and then Log Files. The Log Files page opens.
- Choose a Starting Date and Time and an Ending Date and Time range for the download, up to a period of 30 days.
- Select the Domains you want to appear in the log.
- Click New File. The Status column displays Processing. When the log files have been processed, SiteSpect sends you a notification and displays a Download button in the Status column.
- Click Download to retrieve the log file.